Friday, June 12, 2009

Pico de Gallo - My Recipe and "The Song"

It's a beautiful day here in the Land of Enchantment. Sunny, but not too hot. I had a very busy week, so I am going to enjoy hard-earned "down-time" this evening. I think if I lived in the south, I'd recline in the swing on my veranda, sipping a mint julep and snacking on cheese straws, while fanning myself delicately. YEAH RIGHT. I live in New Mexico, so it's me on the front porch with a margarita, homemade pico de gallo, and tortilla chips!

Pico de gallo (Spanish for Rooster's Beak) is a fresh condiment, much like salsa. It can be served as a dip for tortilla chips or as a topping for your next batch of tacos or fajitas.

Before you begin this easy recipe, you have to take a couple of minutes to listen to the "Pico de Gallo" song by Trout Fishing in America. Listen closely to the lyrics. I guarantee you'll laugh so hard you'll cry-o!



Anne's Pico de Gallo Recipe
1 lb. Roma tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (2 jalapenos will give you additional heat :- )
Squeeze of lime juice
Salt to taste
Optional: Cilantro, chopped (I'm not a fan of cilantro, so I don't use it in my version)

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve with tortilla chips or as an accompaniment to tacos or fajitas.

Hugs and blessings~
~~~Anne

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ann,

    I LOVE your site and just wanted to stop in and tell you so!

    My hubby has been making Pico de Gallo for years and was given a recipe from an authentic Mexican friend and co-worker in the construction trade.

    Great stuff, but I've never heard "the song" before and sure had a ball watching the slideshow and hearing it, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just funny'O!
    Another great recipe'O for me to try'O!
    Hugs,
    Nancy'O
    (sounds like some funny pig latin language'O)
    hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger