Friday, April 24, 2009

How to Make Cake Mix Cookies ~ $5.00 + 90 Minutes = 6 Dozen Cookies!

"Wife," my husband (a Realtor) said to me the other evening. "I'm having a big open house this weekend. Do you think I should serve cookies?" As wives around the world know, this translates to "Anne will be baking on Friday." I just feel grateful that he gave me a couple of days notice instead of letting me in on the secret the night before the event!

Anyway... For about $5.00 and in 1 1/2 hours, I whipped up 6 dozen cookies, and ended up with a kitchen that was cleaner than when I started my baking. Yeah, me!

I discovered "cake mix cookies" a couple of years ago. I've modified the traditional method a bit, so I'm calling this rendition "Auntie Anne's Creative Cake Mix Cookies". Below the recipe you'll see some flavor combinations I have tried (today was old-fashioned chocolate chip and "Almond Joy"), but the possibilites are only limited by your imagination :-)

"AUNTIE ANNE'S CREATIVE CAKE MIX COOKIES"

Ingredients:

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup "stir in" (chocolate chips, nuts, coconut, etc. This is where the "creativity" occurs!)

Directions:
  1. Combine cake mix, oil, eggs, flour, and vanilla in a bowl and mix thoroughly. (Mix will look greasy. It's supposed to look that way.)
  2. Stir in your "stir-in".
  3. Roll a rounded teaspoon sized amount of dough into a ball and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes.
  5. Upon removing from oven, let cookies stand on sheet for two minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.

These are my "Almond Joy" Cookies. I used chocolate cake mix, almonds and coconut. I substituted almond extract for the vanilla.

These are "plain and simple" chocolate chip cookies. Yellow cake mix with chocolate chips.

Other flavor combinations I've tried:

  • Devil's food with peanut butter chips
  • Strawberry with chocolate chips
  • Yellow with white chocolate chips and macademia nuts (a fan favorite!)
  • Carrot cake with coconut and pecans
  • Spice cake with raisins and walnuts
  • Chocolate with Andes mint chips
  • Cherry chip with chocolate chunks

Hugs and blessings~

~~~Anne

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll be trying them out soon.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Powered By Blogger